The choir was formed by George Mitchell in 1947 and comprised about 20 people from the congregation of St. John's Fellowship. Peter Chapman was choirmaster for 25 years. Aspiring choristers were on probation for 3 months before being fully accepted. The ladies' robe included the Canterbury cap for many years until revolt within the ranks led to its retirement!
At St. John's music was accompanied by either harmonium (Shirley Matthews & Ena Lacey) or Edith Peters' grand piano (Ivan Collins). When the Fellowship moved to Trinity, Norman Kaye was appointed organist, with Ivan assisting for 14 years.
After Peter's retirement at the end of 1976, choirmasters were David Carolane (1977), Leslie Kerr (1978-1980), Mervyn Callaghan (1980-1982), Andrew Blackburn (1983-1984) and John O'Donnell (1985-2015).
Over the years, many people, young & not so young, have sung in the choir, but no actual register was kept, but would number in the several hundreds. A few present-day choristers have been singing for more than 35 years!
Apart from services, the choir has taken part in a number of other singing engagements over the years, a highlight being led by a Salvation Army Band in 1970 through the streets of Carlton, to assist in the closing of an old Greek Orthodox Church and the opening of the new one in Lygon St. On occasions it has provided music at the Cathedral during January, while their choir was in recess. Two vinyl recordings were made, and many short recordings by the ABC for In Quires & Places and Evening Meditation.